Simple suggestions to help you to retain the maximum nutrient-content in the fruits and vegetables you cook and eat:
- Store foods properly, keeping cold foods cold and sealing oily foods in airlight containers (so that the oils do not come into contact with the air and oxidize)
- Keep vegetables in the crisper section ot the refrigerator, which keep them at just the right temperature to retain their goodness
- Store fruits away from direct sunlight as sunlight degrades and alters nutrients, especially fragile vitamin A and the good oils
- Wash and scrub vegetables rathen than peeling them (a lot of nutrients are in or close to the skin)
- Steam, rost or grill (broil) vegetables rathen than boiling them, and if you do boil your vegetables, save the nutrient-laden water for soup stock
- Cook foods as quickly as possible as the damage to nutrients increases the longer they spend cooking.