Very simple to make dhal with simple topping will make your dinner delicious. The coconut topping is a good contrast to very mild and soft lentils and makes this dish a bit more interesting.
2 white onions, finely chopped,
3 garlic cloves, minced
2cm fresh ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp groung coriander
2 tsp groung turmeric
250 g red lentils, washed
750 ml vegetable stock
60 g fresh spinach
For the toppings:
50 g desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- First add the onions and garlic to a big pan with a splash of water or oil if you like. Saute the onions for abou 3 minutes until will get translucent.
- Then add ginger and the rest of the spices and stir well.
- Add lentils and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, them lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- At the end add spinach and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- To make a topping dry-roast coconut with the spices in a dry non-stick pan on a low heat. When the coconut is golden brown it is ready. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Serve dhal with naan or flatbread, top up with coconut mixture, add some lemon wedges and enjoy!