Butternut squash has a very thick skin but sweet and easy to cook flesh. Both with carrots they’re rich in vitamin A and C. This soup is so creamy and quite delicate in taste. So if you like more spicy flavour you can add some chilli or more garlic cloves. I just added some chilli flakes at the end.
Squashes are in season now so play with then using different shapes and colours.
500 g carrots, peeled and chopped
900g butternut squash, peeled and chopped
15 g vegan butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 litre vegetable stock
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Place butter and olive oil in a big pan and set on low heat.
- Add onions and garlic with a pinch of salt and sauté for about 10 minut. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Add carrots and squash with stock. Bring in to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- When soup is ready leave it to cool slightly and then blend until smooth.
- Serve hot with fresh black pepper, chilli flakes and fresh basil.