For the cake:
– 2 cups self-raising wholemeal flour
– 220 g carrots, grated
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 sea salt
– 1 teaspoon nutmeg
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 200 g brown or coconut sugar
– 2 flax eggs ( 2 tablespoons flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons water)
-1/2 cup olive oil
– 1,5 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon able cider vinegar
– 1 cup chopped walnuts
– 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
For the frosting:
– 2 cups cashews, soaked overnight or for a few hours
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
– Coconut milk, as needed
For the cake:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C.
2. Grease two 7 inch cake tins and line the bottom with paper.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, spices in a bowl.
4. Add the grated carrots and the sugar.
5. Prepare the flax eggs and allow to sit for a minute.
6. In the meantime, add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla to the bowl.
7. Add the flax egg.
8. Mix everything together until well combined.
9. Lastly add walnuts and raisins.
10. Divide the mixture between two cake tins and bake for 30 minutes.
11. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
12. In the meantime add all ingredients for frosting into blender and blend until smooth.
13. Spread the half of the frosting onto the cake, cover with other cake and spread the rest of the frosting on the top. Leave in the fridge for at least one hour.